20.12.04

RECENSIONE da BILLYBOP.BE

da BILLYBOP

Style : Jazz
Rate (1-5) : 5

When I was gathering some information for my Titty Twisters Orchestra review, I came across the name of an Italian organist who plays in this jazzy lounge/sixties band called the Link Quartet. After talking to him I went to the website & was really surprised by the samples I heard. I had to contact him again. After a while one thing led to another and I ended up with their latest CD, Italian Playboys. My friends & family know that I’m a dedicated music lover & that I treasure my album collection. Music is my daily food and I do love many styles & tunes. But it’s really an understatement when I say this album swings as no other in my collection. I have to say it’s very long time since I have heard something like this and it’s really a great find. The music is mixture of soul, lounge and jazz, served with topics of sixties beat & served chilling fresh on this excellent album.Although this could be simply called acid jazz, I don’t think the label fits this album very well.“Move, Move, Move”, the first track is a classic soul, swing tune that incredibly works out well in this revived version. Is starts working on my dancing muscles and it won’t stop for the rest of the cd. Fourteen tracks long this is what you feel. Other great tunes are “Briar Patch “(Original by Jack Mcduff) or “Spider Baby” with a very spacy Eddie Robberts (from The New Mastersounds) on sitar. The Link quartet is doing mostly instrumental tunes, but if you think that’s all there is, you’re dead wrong. Great quality is proven here with the cover of the Gus Gus song “Lady shave” feat. DJ Ninfa, or the equal excellent “Janine”.To tell you more would be spoiling you and that isn’t the game here. This album is a fourteen tracks long orgasm of boogaloo like music an organ grinding tunes and I assure you it’s worth the effort to seek this one out.I’m really looking forward to hear more of the band and will spend some time to track down their back catalogue. But not only the band is an interesting source. Check out the site of record kicks and see for yourself.

Reviewed by Patrick Van Hauwaert
www.billybop.be